Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Big Boy's Burgers

Date Visited: Dinner on Tuesday Jul 2, 2013
Company: Take-out for myself

Big Boy's opened in Whitby about a year ago and its kind of made an impression as it really sticks out amongst its surroundings. It's just off the highway at Thickson near the gas stations and just along the way is the Empire Theatre complex, where it would look a little more fitting, but still not really fit in. Everyone passes it to get to the highway and it looks a bit ridiculous as I'm pretty sure the owner has a hummer which is always parked right in front. At first, we thought it was just part of the decor and added effect. Eventually, I heard a lot of good things about their burgers and thought it was about time for me to try it out this lonely night I was home alone.

I arrived just at 6PM and was the first customer for the dinner rush. I ordered the Big Boy Burger (1/2 lb) Combo that includes fries and a small refillable drink and came up to $10. The owner was very friendly, and really enjoys interacting with his customers. The cooks were also very nice, he asks you what toppings you want on the burger and I had everything except for relish. They have just the standard toppings with some banana peppers. The wait wasn't very long, about 10 minutes and a few customers filled in during this time. There's a self-serve drink counter and condiments for your fries as well. It's quite spacious and bright in the restaurant, I think every table is beside a window, and it has a colourful racetrack theme. 

I headed home with my take-out and snacked on some fries on the way. You can tell that their fries are extremely fresh, they have that taste of potato skin like you get from chip trucks. When I finally got home and took some pictures of my food, I finally got to try the burger! It was a great first bite I must say, the burger was so flavourful and aromatic. I could hardly taste any condiments the whole time because the burger was so overpowering. I can see why they stick to the simple ingredients because the burger really speaks for itself
. I was a bit turned off by how white the bun is and thought they could have grilled it a bit more but I couldn't taste it anyway. The fries were lightly salted but they gave me a bunch of condiments to go which was nice. I enjoyed that most of them were very thick but some were the sides which were thin and crunchy, a nice variety. It was a lot of food in the end as it was hard not to finish everything... for future reference, I would definitely go for a smaller patty.

Food: 4/5 - Great classic burger, nothing fancy.
Decor: 3/5 - Bright inside and out, really sticks out.
Service: 4/5 - Friendly & fast customer service, but I was first one there.
Willingness to come back: 4.5/5 - There's a lot on the menu I'd like to try
Overall: 4/5
Website: http://bigboysburgers.com/ 
 
Big Boy's Burgers whitby on Urbanspoon

1 comment: