Thursday, February 5, 2015

Pho Vietnam

Date Visited: Dinner on Thursday Jan 15, 2015 
Company: +Stephanie

After our first pho date, +Stephanie was craving for more so we decided to go again another night I was in Scarborough for work. There's a ton of Vietnamese restaurants in Scarborough so I decided to look up what the best one was for pho. I saw Pho Vietnam come up few times in Google and it was fairly close to our area so we decided to check it out. Trying to find the place wasn't very difficult as it has a huge brightly lit sign of the restaurant name. Upon first glance, you can tell this is a more modern and glamorized pho place compared to the usual hole-in-the-walls. The size and layout of the restaurant was very standard though with order sheets still at the table.

We ordered Large Pork Spring Rolls to start and they actually didn't even come until after we got our pho! I didn't think that the Spring Rolls would be as large as they were, we definitely could have done with just a small! The flavour and texture were on point, so crispy on the outside and meaty on the inside. The sauce we were given was a little too sweet for me, we were trying to figure out what it was as we still have no idea. Really wish we got them earlier to enjoy them on their own first. The pickled carrots and radish on the side were good to cleanse the pallet but I wish they were more fresh.

I ordered my classic Rare Beef and Beef Balls pho and the broth was very clear. I noticed later that all the pho was rolled up in a ball at the bottom which is probably why the broth looked like it had nothing in it. I found the meat a tad too lean and tough to chew. I thought that they didn't even give very much but a lot had sunken to the bottom. The cut of beef wasn't the best for pho. The noodles were also thicker making it heavy and very filling, and not as glassy as I like them. The broth was good but altogether, it was a very mediocre bowl of pho.

Food:
2.5/5 - OK food, nothing outstanding and probably overrated.
Decor: 3.5/5 - Very chic designs.
Service: 3/5 - Fast service, fairly nice.
Willingness to go back: 2.5/5 - Probably would go back, awesome spring rolls!
Overall: 3/5

Website: n/a

Pho Vietnam Family Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment